Club News‎ > ‎

Mullinavat Claim Leinster Title

posted 28 Nov 2014, 13:19 by Tom Duggan
Mullinavat 1-13 Kiltale 0-13

The programme notes for the Leinster intermediate Final stated that "nothing can compare to the raw passion that a big club game can create". What a fitting description of this epic encounter in Pairc Tailteann in Navan. Kiltale may have been rank outsiders in this contest but they came within a puck of a ball from pulling off a famous victory. Mullinavat have had to work hard thoughout the championship but they had to dig deeper than ever to withstand the wholehearted efforts of a gallant Kiltale outfit. The Meath team went toe to toe with Mullinavat throughout this contest and more than matched the Kilkenny side for much of the game. The difference in the end was Jamie Fennelly's goal, three minutes before the break. It gave Mullinavat a lead they never relinquished but they were pushed to the limit by the Meath men.
Kiltale came out of the blocks determined to set down a marker that they were here to win the game. They had three points on the scoreboard within seven minutes before Mullinavat could raise a flag : two from jack Regan and one from Peter Durnin. Mullinavat began to find their feet and Liam Fennelly got them off the mark in the eighth minute after good work by Joe Gahan, John Walsh worked really hard to score another point in the ninth minute. Thomas Aylward levelled the game a minute later with a monster free from his own 45 metre line. Mullinavat edged in front in the twelfth with a point from Joe Gahan following great work from Ger Malone. Back came Kiltale and they levelled when  a quickly taken free  caught Mullinavat napping and Jack Regan pointed. James Kelly put Kiltale ahead with a point within a minute and the Meath men were really asking serious questions of the Mullinavat  defence.Mark O Sullivan who was a constant danger throughout the game increased the lead with a point in the eighteenth minute. Mullinavat responded with a point from a '65 from John Walsh. Ian Duggan levelled the game with a point following good work from Ger Malone. . Thomas Aylward pointed another long range free to edge Mullinavat in front and then came the goal that Mullinavat had been threatening for a while. Liam Fennelly sent a perfect delivery to his brother Jamie and Jamie gave Kiltale goalkeeper Shane McGann no chance to put Mullinavat in the driving seat. Willie O'Dwyer added a point but Kiltale had the final score as the first half came to a close when Jack Regan pointed a free.
Half time score Mullinavat 1-8 Kiltale 0-7.
Kiltale were first out on the field and were anxious to get on with it and Jack Regan pointed a free in the second minute. He added another point from play in the sixth minute. The action was really hotting up now and John Walsh pointed a free in the ninth minute. Willie O' Dwyer added another point after a great pass from Joe Gahan in the tenth minute. Jack Regan then pointed a huge free from 100 metres and straight from the puckout Mark O'Sullivan sprinted past the 'Vat defence to score a wonderful point. There was now only two points in it and Kiltale supporters were really getting behind their team.  Mullinavat were up for the challenge. John Walsh pointed a free but Kiltale came back for more and Mark O' Sullivan scored a super point with Mullinavat defenders left in his wake.It was all to play for as the match entered the final quarter. Neither side added a score for the next nine minutes but there was no shortage of goalmouth action and both goalkeepers had to be on the alert as the two teams went hell for leather at it .John Walsh pointed a free when Liam Fennelly was fouled. Kiltale sub Ross Ryan scored an excellent point to reduce the deficit to two points. Kiltale threw everything at the Mullinavat defence in a gallant effort to level the game and as the match entered stoppage time they were awarded a free from 65 metres out. Jack Regan's effort went narrowly wide and from the puckout Liam Fennelly pointed to give the large Mullinavat contingent some relief. Both sides have to be complimented on serving up an enthralling hour's hurling . Mullinavat know that they have had a severe test but can also take great satisfaction from the manner in which they stood up to the challenge. In doing so they claimed an historic Leinster Championship and the right to contest the All Ireland quarter final against Kilburn Gaels in Ruislip London in two week's time.
: Mullinavat : John Walsh (0-5, 0-3 frees, 0-1 '65),Jamie Fennelly (1-0), Willie O' Dwyer (0-2), Liam Fennelly (0-2),Thomas Aylward (0-2 frees) Ian Duggan (0-1),   Joe Gahan (0-1),
Kiltale: Jack Regan (0-6, 0-5 frees), Mark O'Sullivan (0-4), James Kelly (0-1),Peter Durnin (0-1), Ross Ryan (0-1)
Mullinavat: James Culleton, Joe Fennelly, Thomas Aylward, Seamus Farrell, Robert Malone, Pauric Gahan, Simon Aylward, Dinny Butler, Ian Duggan, Joe Gahan, Ger Malone, Liam Fennelly, Jamie Fennelly, Willie O'Dwyer, John Walsh.
subs: Paddy Raftice, Brian Phelan,
Kiltale:Shane McGann, Anthony Donnelly, Padraig Donoghue, Ciaran Ennis, Stephen Donoghue, John Donoghue, David Donoghue, Padraig Kelly, Anthony Forde, Mark O'Sullivan, Cathal McCabe, James Kelly, Kevin Ryan, Pater Durnin, Jack Regan
.Subs: Ross Ryan, Fergal McCabe,

Referee:Justin Heffernan (Wexford)